Monday, April 13, 2009

The Protestant Revolution and the Thirty Years' War

A year ago at this time, I was in the middle of researching and composing my capstone paper for my Masters Degree in Military History. As one might expect, this was no small task. Consequently, I wanted to choose a topic in which I had sufficient interest, since this endeavour would be so time consuming. Originally, I wanted to write about religion as a cause of war. However, I was quickly advised by my capstone advisor, that I needed to narrow my thesis since there was no way I could sufficiently cover such a broad topic in 50 to 60 pages.

For brevity's sake, eventually I choose a thesis that set out to prove two essential points. First, the events commonly referred to as the Protestant Reformation were in fact a revolution that lead to the transference of power and property across the European landscape. Second, the Thirty Years' War was not an isolated religious conflict between Catholics and Protestants, but the end of the revolution started by Luther over 150 years before.

For those of you who are interested in church history please enjoy The Protestant Revolution and the Thirty Years' War.

More is still to follow in the series What is Truth?

No comments: